Translate

Friday, March 28, 2014

What I Learned about my Educational Philosophy...

            After taking the Educational Philosophies Self-Assessment Test, I feel like I have learned a lot about what kind of teacher I will most likely be, and a lot about my teaching style. My educational philosophy came out to be dominantly humanism. This type of philosophy focuses on potential for human growth, and is a very optimist view of human nature, which I think does reflect my own view as well. It states that, "people are inherently good and will strive for a better world, and that, "people possess unlimited potential for growth and development." I can definitely relate to this point of view, because even though it may seem too good to be true, I believe it is true of most people if they are provided an environment and people to nurture the good inside them from a young age. This is especially true of children, and I definitely think that meanness or other "bad qualities" are learned behaviors, and aren't something that people are born with. I also am I strong believer that everyone has good in them, no matter who they are, and many times they just need someone to believe in them in order for that good to shine through. It is a teachers job to encourage the good in children and allow for their talents to flourish. These views are all incorporated into the humanist philosophy, so I think the assessment was pretty accurate in choosing what my own educational philosophy is.
         So what does this philosophy imply for how I will teach? I think it says that I will be very focused on providing a nurturing and loving environment for children to learn in, and that I will be encouraging to their individual talents and strengths. I also believe it may say that I will adjust my teaching to incorporate things the class I interested in, since people have a natural tendency to learn if they are interested in the subject. All of these qualities are ones I hope to have as a teacher one day, so I will definitely strive to stay true to the beliefs of the humanistic philosophy of education.


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment